For over 25 years, Food & Wine magazine has been on a quest to spot the “next big thing” in the culinary world with their annual Best New Chefs program. Like locking up a James Beard Award, being deemed a Best New Chef is a big, big deal. Alumni include: Michael Symon (‘98); Wylie Dufresne (‘01); Grant Achatz (‘02); Scott Conant (‘04); April Bloomfield (’07). You've heard of those guys.
This morning, the magazine's editor Dana Cowin took to Instagram to announce the 2014 Best New Chef class. The move continues in the magazine’s shrewd use of social media when announcing their trademark awards program. Congrats to all the chefs.
- Matthew Accarrino, SPQR, San Francisco
- Dave Beran, Next, Chicago
- Greg Denton and Gabrielle Quinonez Denton, Ox, Portland, OR
- Eli Kulp, Fork, Philadelphia
- Matt McCallister, FT33, Dallas
- Paul Qui, Qui, Austin, TX
- Cara Stadler, Tao Yuan, Brunswick, ME
- Walker Stern and Joe Ogrodnek, Dover, Brooklyn
- Ari Taymor, Alma, Los Angeles
- Justin Yu, Oxheart, Houston